Less than a week till school is finished for the semester–I couldn’t be more excited for the winter holidays! To get me through this busy time of year I decided to make these quick and easy nut & seed banana bars, they’re the perfect snack to keep me going between meals.
These energy bars are super delicious and full of nutty flavours. Feel free to add some sort of sweetener to taste if needed. Personally, I decided to add 2.5 tbsp of my favourite raw honey! Enjoy.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup dried cherries or pitted dates, chopped
- 3 small ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Butter or other oil, for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-by-9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. Place the bananas, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in the bowl of a small food processor or blender and process until smooth. (You will have about 1¼ cup of puree.) Pour the banana puree over the oat mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are evenly moist. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until firm and lightly browned on the edges. Let cool completely and cut into 6 bars. You can store them in an airtight container for a couple days, but I recommend wrapping them individually and freezing them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- • You can substitute other seeds or nuts of your choice.
- • These are not terribly sweet. If you like a sweeter granola bar, add maple syrup or brown sugar to taste.
- • Use gluten-free oats to make these bars gluten-free.